Working at the Johnson Public Library is a rewarding experience. JPL is located in the heart of Main Street in downtown Hackensack, which means the building is always full of life and activity! Our central location in the county seat of Bergen County makes us the go-to resource for working professionals, young parents, teens, and people from all walks of life.
One thing for sure, our staff is never bored!
- provides leadership and direction for the library as well as planning, directing and coordinating all functions of library services.
- provides the board of trustees with timely reports and counsel on all matters necessary to ensure a dynamic and responsive public library.
- supervises the library staff, directly or through delegation, to create a harmonious team environment.
- inspires and empowers the staff; initiates and directs all personnel actions such as hiring, termination, assignment, evaluation and labor relations conforming to Civil Service regulations.
- prepares the annual budget in coordination with the Board Budget and Finance Committee for subsequent adoption by the board.
- recommends the adoption of policies and works with the Board Policy Committee to prepare drafts of said policies for review and approval by the board.
- maintains the financial integrity of budget implementation and administration.
- plans for and oversees the library facility, including safety, security, repair and maintenance.
- provides leadership and direction for major building projects.
- maintains effective work relationships and partnerships with the library cooperative, local officials, local educational and cultural institutions, city agencies and local businesses.
- maintains knowledge of new developments in the library profession, including technological advances, through professional development opportunities.
- Masters in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) from an American Library Association accredited institution.
- A minimum of five years professional experience in a public library with at least two years of experience in a supervisory position.
The successful candidate is an innovative, enterprising and resourceful leader who is comfortable with technology and social media and possesses a strong commitment to developing, empowering and mentoring staff. He/she demonstrates experience and understanding of organizational management in an urban setting. The successful candidate demonstrates effective interpersonal skills through strong written and oral communication skills and clearly exhibits an open door management style with both staff and patrons. He/she has experience with a diverse population with multiple inclinations and has a committed understanding of the importance a quality library plays in a diverse community. The successful candidate has experience working with groups such as a board of trustees, municipal officials, community organizations and stakeholders for the purpose of achieving library goals and presents a positive image for the library as a community leader.
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with training and experience beginning at $100,000. Compensation includes a competitive benefits package including generous paid leave, medical and dental insurance, and membership in the New Jersey Public Employees Retirement System.
Qualified professionals should submit a cover letter, resume and two professional recommendations by mail to:
Mr. Anthony M. Marseglia, Chairperson, Personnel Committee, c/o Johnson Public Library, 274 Main Street, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601 or to email@example.com.
THE CLOSING DATE IS FRIDAY, July 13, 2018.